Friday, September 4, 2009

Who Says You Can't Learn Anything From A Fourth- Grader?

Sometimes, my daughter has the most interesting things to share with me about what she has learned at school. I find that I may turn out to be a very intelligent adult if I hang out with her a little bit. For example, she came to me yesterday and said, "Mommy, guess what I just found out? Shrimp have their hearts in their HEAD!!!" I must admit, I was quite surprised, and at a loss for words. If you know me, that in it's self, is surprising.
So today , Aminah (my daughter), informs me that her homework assignment is to write about inventions from the 1950's to the present, and how these inventions have affected our lives. I thought it would be cool to share some of these facts with you, so you can say, "Wow, I never knew that!"

1950- The first credit card (Diners) was invented by Ralph Schnieder.
1951-Charles Ginsburg invented the first video tape recorder.
1952-The first patent for bar code was issued to inventors Joseph Woodland and Bernard Silver. Also, Edward Teller and team build the hydrogen bomb.
1953- David Warren invented the black box flight recorder.
1954-oral contraceptives invented - the pill.
1956-Bette Nesmith Graham invented "Mistake Out," later renamed Liquid Paper. She was also the mother of Michael Nesmith, of "The Monkees."
1959-Jack Kilby and Robert Noyce both invent the microchip.
1962,1963 - The audio cassette and video disk were invented. I remember hearing Quincy Jones
saying in an interview that he saw these at a laboratory in Holland in 1962, and he was told that they couldn't release the compact disk for another twenty years.Also, silicone breast implants by Dow Corp.
1965- soft contact lenses invented, also NutraSweet. Kevlar was invented by Stephanie Louise Kwoick.
1969- the arpanet (first internet) was invented, along with the artificial heart, and our old friend, the A.T.M., were invented.
1971-The liquid crystal display (L.C.D.) was invented by James Fergason, the microprocessor by Faggin, Hoff, and Mazor, also the videocassette was invented.
1974- The post-it notes were invented by Arthur Fry. Let's thank Giorgio Fischer for inventing liposuction.
1978- The artificial heart, Jarvik 7 was invented by Robert K.Jarvik.
1979- Cell phones and the Walkman were invented.
1984- The Apple Macintosh invented.
1985- Windows program invented by Microsoft.
1988 - Digital cellular phones, Doppler radar by Christian Andreas Doppler, and Prozac was invented by Ray Fuller at the Eli Lilly Company.
1990- The World Wide Web, internet protocol (HTTP), AND WWW language (HTML), were created by Tim Berners-Lee
Looking at just a few of the things that were invented, I leave you with the question my daughter asked me, "Mommy, do you remember what you were doing BEFORE you had a computer, cell phone, and DVD player?"
I think I was just existing, but happier.
AND HAD A LOT MORE MONEY!!!

No comments: