Friday, October 23, 2009

Earthquakes Shake Me Up

I think earthquakes are scary because there is no warning, it just happens. Other disasters are frightening, but the fact of the earth moving, abruptly and violently, is too much for me. The amount of damage and possible death over something that lasts for a short period of time, is amazing. I live in Florida, so at least you have a two to three day notice to prepare for a hurricane. Tornadoes, you have a minimal amount of notice, but you do have it, same with tsunamis. Fires, again, you have a chance of escape. But the fact that the earth can snap itself back into place at a fault, and affect a large area of land, and on top of that , cause a tsunami, well, that's enough for me. The thing is, I don't know how many people in Florida know this, but there is a fault that runs through Cuba, so we could have an earthquake here too.

No comments: