Sunday, May 16, 2010

Impressed, I'd say Surprised.

It's not that I wasn't impressed by The Mall, I was just surprised by the landscaping. I had to remind myself of the significance of the Mall, because at one time, slaves were sold on the Mall.

Seeing it in person, I thought about all of the people who walked along it during the Vietnam protests, the March on Washington, the Million Man March, and the inauguration of all of the Presidents, in particular, President Barack Obama.

I am reminded of the outrage people had when the suggestion of having taxpayers money go to re-sod the Mall.

Given the history surrounding it, maybe it's best it stays the way it is. But with a message to give our children of just how important this plot of land is, and the history that makes it so important.

No comments: